Facebook

THE TOP THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THE TECNO W4

Back in 2015 ,Tecno mobile promised us a phone with the marshmallow Android treatment for a very cheap price(23000 naira then). And true to their promises,they released a somewhat great phone and I bought it and tested it. Looking back 2 years later(or 1 year,I can't remember when I bought it) the phone is still an unwieldy performer. Sure,it has its hiccups,but when it performs,it performs. Here are the top things I love about the Tecno W4:
DISPLAY
Back then,5 inches was quite sufficient for the standard user,but when boys like Infinix joined bad gang and released the Note 2 sporting 6" I shook my head and said"not for me,sha". I love small smartphone(4"-5.2") . Dazzol.
Anyway,the W4 sports a 5" HD(720*1280 PX) display giving it a PPI(pixels per inch) value of 293 PPI which is amazing. And since it uses an IPS panel and not the terrible LCD panel,the whites are white and the blacks are okay.
The display is really bright and believe it or not,in the picture above taken outdoors, the display is at its lowest. I mean ground zero lowest. And we can still see the nice wallpaper,navigation buttons and everything else we need to see. That's a nice thumbs up for Tecno
(Imagine turning the brightness all the way up)
The screen is also very responsive to the touch. A slight tap wakes the screen from sleep,and air gestures are possible if your hand is close to the screen(1 cm close). There was even a time I was watching a video on the phone and I yawned. The video paused and although it was annoying,it was really a show off of this phone's excellent engineering prowess.
The IPS panel is also great for saving your power on that long road trip or flight.
CAMERA
When I say camera,you probably think of the 8MP sensor behind the phone. No. It's actually the 2MP sensor up front that really impressed me. Am I crazy? Yes! About selfies though not crazy crazy. You get my drift shey?

I stupidly focused on the grass here,but as they say,no photo is a waste!
The front camera was probably the one the engineer focused on,cause it takes better shots than the 8MP rear camera. I gave it to a couple of friends to test it and believe me,their first question was "how many megapixels?" When I told them ,they were shocked,but still wasted my space on groupies anyway. Here are some samples:
DESIGN AND BUILD QUALITY
Save for the fact that it looks a lot like the LeEco LE1,the design breaks away from the standard Tecno mobile we knew. The phone is slim,verrrrrry light and has curves(I mean curves!) to help with grip. I never dropped the phone once except during durability testing which the phone passed extremely well. You'll see the placement of ports and buttons in the photos below:
 The buttons provide an excellent feedback when pressed. You feel the depth of pressure when they are clicked,much like Samsung's home button.

The design definitely looks well planned and accurate.
AUDIO
I don't know if you're aware ,but after HTC,Tecno is the best sound maker. Not even the S6 edge plus(I did a review) can match up to this one in sound quality. The sound us magnificent and when calling,that lovely looking earpiece up front came through for me.
WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT
I've written a lot(720 words) about how much I like the W4,but as always,there are 2 sides to a coin. Here's what I DON'T like about it.
SOFTWARE(HIOS SUCKS)
Sure,it runs the then craved Android Marshmallow 6.0(it still runs it,with no news for an update),but Tecno went ahead and slapped Hi OS 1.0 ,it's custom interface on it,and it is NOT good at all. Not at all. Probably because this is Hi OS's first market show(after the Boom J8 which I also reviewed). There are a million bugs; from apps shutting down on their own,to apps not installing and a host of other problems. I wanted to do a HiOS review,but I've pretty much summarised it all here.
BATTERY
Sure,2800 mAh may seem standard,but believe me,it's not. It NEVER lasted me a full day,as in NEVER. I always felt the need to recharge the phone before it reaches ground zero. Not cool at all.
That's all for now. There with be a post like this just for the HOT S from Infinix soon. Thanks and goodbye.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do we really need flagship devices?

iPhone X Hands On :Apple Has Done It!

Samsung Galaxy S9 Review

iPhone 8 Specifications